Soooooo...we’ve been house hunting, and
that’s occupied the majority of my critical and creative energy over the past
few weeks. As a result, I’ve again fallen behind in posting. But I have kept up
with viewing. Here’s an epic six-film post to catch us up. My apologies. Please bear with me!
The Philadelphia Story (1940): It seems like an odd premise—at least by today’s standards: a
scandal might possibly interrupt the nuptials of socialites. But perhaps it’s
not that odd for the plot of a theater production, which is what The Philadelphia Story is based on (in
fact, Katharine Hepburn reprises her role as Tracy Lord from the play in the
film). And perhaps that’s just it—maybe we don’t have many films like this
anymore, because fewer films are based on theater productions. And maybe that’s
because American audiences don’t have the patience for a film with minimal set
pieces and maximal dialogue. In this, as in many romantic comedies of the
period (including many others with Hepburn and/or Grant and/or Stewart),
densely packed lines are delivered rapidly and in quick succession. It can be
exhausting to follow, absorb, and process everything the characters are saying
to each other. But it’s also rewarding. And the best part about the film is
that several outcomes seem entirely possible (even probable) as we’re coming
into the homestretch. Even though I’d seen the film before, I was myself only
half-sure of how it would turn out. It’s wild, it’s fast, and it’s funny, if
still more than a little old-fashioned in its philosophy.
Stagecoach (1939): Yet
another film full of classic western tropes—the macho, fearless cowboy, the
savage and violent Indian, the righteous Calvary—but darn it if this film isn’t
immensely entertaining. I’ve never been a fan of Wayne’s, but in a film like
this, I can certainly see his appeal. He exudes cool confidence, and you can’t
help but root for his character. And for a film that is more than 75 years old,
it involves some remarkable action/stunt sequences, unique camera maneuvers,
and breathtaking cinematography (which showcases the scenic Monument Valley).
And it’s full of a surprisingly amusing cast of characters. Furthermore, the
film seems to sympathize with the outcasts (an escaped prisoner, a disgraced
and drunken doctor, a prostitute) while sticking it to “The Man” (a greedy,
thieving banker, who amusingly and presciently observes, “What this country
needs is a businessman for a president!”). And while the final showdown between
Wayne’s character and his brother’s killer is a bit hokey (but still visually
striking), the film overall is an entertaining success. (I’m even left suspecting
Tarantino drew some inspiration from Stagecoach
when he wrote The Hateful 8.)
Annie Hall (1977): Sometimes
I love Woody Allen’s work. Sometimes I don’t. In this one, I think he gets it
just about right (at least for me). He’s just the right amount of neurotic.
Just the right mix of annoying and appealing. I love the manner in which he
repeatedly breaks the fourth wall in this film, with numerous direct addresses and
asides to the audience. This is a technique that few films since seem to get
right (although the recent film, The Big
Short, comes pretty close). My favorite is when he’s in line at the
theater, listening to a blowhard loudly offer his opinions about film, and Alvy
actually brings out Marshall McLuhan to discredit him! I also love the scene
when Alvy first rides in a car with Annie. It perfectly encapsulates the
passive-aggressiveness and nervous energy of his character: “You have a nice
car. You keep it nice. Is this a sandwich?” I also like the structure of the
film. May times the non-linear narrative is done as a gimmick, and I suppose
some might suggest that’s how it was used here as well, but I think the way the
story unfolds serves to maximize the emotional impact. We already know where
the relationship ends up, and this way we get to see glimpses of how it got
there (not in chronological order, but more like how we’d recall the events
from memory or relate them as short stories to our friends).
Rebel Without a Cause (1955): I’ve always thought this title was something of a misnomer,
because he’s certainly not without cause. But I suspect that’s’ the point—the
title reflects the adult perception of this “rebel’s” behavior as being without
cause or merit. The film follows Dean’s character as he struggles to transition
into adulthood. He’s angry. He’s lonely. He feels like the adults in his life
are failing to provide a positive model of adult thought and behavior.
Generally, adults are portrayed as distracted and distant—a not uncommon
depiction in films from the post-war era, as affluence and commercialism ballooned.
Adolescents are given more freedom during this time, but they’re also generally
ignored.
A few things strike me about this film. First,
there’s a fine example of good community policework early on—an officer offers to
talk (and listen!) to Dean’s character without (much) judgment or pressure, and
without even the threat of “throwing the book at him” (and it’s a standing
offer that extends beyond their first meeting). Also, it’s lovely seeing Dean
play a character that is simultaneously so cool and uncool. He’s got style, but
he’s awkward and emotional; he’s vulnerable. And finally, the film is certainly
melodramatic and unfocused at times, but I hardly think those are
faults—because that’s pretty much what most of adolescence is like, too.
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948): Another fine film by Huston. The tone and pacing is
fantastically crafted. This is a great example of picking an intriguing
setting, introducing us to some interesting characters full of personality and
desire, throwing some fantastical opportunity at them, and then winding it all
up really tightly and letting it go. With each new development in the story
(finding gold, being discovered by another potential prospector, having run-ins
with bandidos, etc.), we bring each character a little closer to his breaking
point. And we wonder, as the film progresses, which one of the trio of
prospectors we’re most like—hoping we’re the nobler Curtin (or even Howard) but
worrying we’re the increasingly fearful, paranoid, greedy, and obsessive Dobbs,
stumbling ever closer to a tragic (but seemingly inevitable) demise. I feel
Bogart was robbed of the Oscar for this role (I don’t think he was even
nominated), but the film was honored
during award season. And there’s an interesting bit of trivia on that topic: Walter
Huston won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as the
prospector “Howard.” John Huston, who
won the Academy Award for Best Director for this film, is Walter’s son. That
was the first time that a father-son duo won Oscars at the same ceremony.
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967): This film gets credit for intention, certainly. It was released
at a time when interracial marriage was still illegal in more than 15 states.
The acting is superb—especially by Poitier, Hepburn (in one of her several
Academy Award-winning roles), and Tracy. And there are some very satisfying
moments—like when Hepburn’s character fires her snoopy and judgmental employee:
“Get. Permanently. Lost.”
But the film has its problems. First, towards
the end of the film, we get one lengthy, pious monologue after another. Few of
us ever speak at length so eloquently or effectively as several characters in
this film do—especially in moments of stress or passion. Second, after all of
the goodwill established early on, the final (and most important) say still
comes down to the old white patriarch (even if his decision is to say that it’s
not really his decision, everyone still listens to and eagerly awaits his
judgment). Finally, I didn’t care for the theme song the first time I heard it
(during the opening credits) and I was downright sick of it by the time the
film was over! J
But overall, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner is a still-timely example of how white
liberals might advocate equity and justice outwardly but are often poor at
practicing what they preach—especially when it bears actual personal
consequence in their own lives.
A side note: Hepburn never saw the final cut
of the film (her final of nine films with husband Spencer Tracy), as Tracy died
less than three weeks after filming wrapped, and she felt it would be too
painful to watch.
Stagecoach is the only movie here that matters as far as I'm concerned.
ReplyDeleteMost of them are lightweights, yes. I would contend that Sierra Madre is of some import, though.
Delete