To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) & One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
I’m late to post this entry, but I
watched To Kill a Mockingbird the week Harper Lee died. I last
saw this film maybe 5 years ago, well before her book Go Set a Watchman was
released this past summer. We’ve yet to see exactly how the release of this
“sequel” will affect the legacy of her Pulitzer-Prize-winning Mockingbird in
the long-term, but in the short-term, it’s left some fans of the original book
with a sour taste in their mouths. I won’t go into great detail about Watchman,
as we’re talking about Mockingbird (and the film, not the
book), except to say that many believe an aging and ailing Lee never meant for
it to be published—and I probably won’t ever read it.
What I can say about the film is that I still find the story
compelling, even having now read and/or seen it a dozen or so times. Also, I
love the opening sequence, which is both sweet and contemporary, with close-ups
of crayons and toys and such (mostly items that will play an actual or symbolic
role in the film). It’s the most “filmic” part of the movie. What was different for
me this time around—and I don’t know if this is due to my getting older or
what—is that I realized what a white film it is. It’s yet
another story about a noble white man doing the right thing—which is fine,
except there’s a difference between being an ally and being a savior.
By contrast, I watched Selma the same week. What a powerful
story. And while it maybe gives President Johnson too much of a savioric nod in
the third act, it’s primarily a story about civil rights told from the
perspective of those most directly and profoundly invested in the fight. And
the cast is phenomenal.
A lot was made of #OscarsSoWhite the past two years. And I heartily agree. I’ve
been a film lover all of my life, and I’m a sucker for Hollywood—especially Old
Hollywood. But as progressive as Tinseltown might be in some respects, it’s
still stuck in a pretty regressive place when it comes to diversity.
Selma garnered just TWO OSCAR nominations. 2.
T-w-o. So this isn’t only a problem of black actors and filmmakers not getting
involved in the types of projects that might win Oscars, because even when they
do (as is the case with Selma, a film that tells a culturally significant story quite
poignantly) they are completely cut out of the honors.
So that’s my beef with To Kill a
Mockingbird. It’s not that I don’t like it. To the contrary—I like it quite
a bit. The acting is phenomenal, and its exploration of complicated themes is
admirable. It is an important story, and it took a "side" during a tumultuous decade. But unfortunately, I think it also represents
the mindset (at least when it comes to race) that Hollywood still seems to be
stuck in—the progressiveness of the white patron or savior, an idea that all
progress is made by important and noble white people saying "it's time." And it was rewarded for its
efforts at the Oscars—with eight nominations and three wins at the 1963 Academy
Awards Ceremony.
One
Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a powerful film
about nonconformity. There’s a lot going on that works really well in this film.
The cast, for starters, is phenomenal. Fletcher’s Nurse Ratched is so
malevolent, but it’s not obvious to us at first—we realize it as the film
unfolds. Nicholson’s Randle is just the right amount of unhinged—we understand
he’s a guy who’s made some mistakes and we don’t particularly “love” him, but
he’s certainly sympathetic. Great supporting cast, too (including a young-ish Danny
DeVito and Christopher Lloyd). I especially like Brad Dourif (a character actor
who would later play a slew of sociopaths and serial killers—he was even the
voice of “Chucky” in the Child’s Play
films) as Billy Bibbit. Bibbit’s story, actually, is a fine example of the
film’s primary strength—its emotional core. We’re invested in the characters,
especially Randle, who sort of “grow" on us as the film advances. Randle's selfish and self-indulgent behavior slowly and gradually give way to a more benevolent
attitude towards his peers. Even when he ropes them into schemes for his
own benefit—like his campaign to watch the World Series, his pick-up basketball
game, his impromptu fishing trip, even the “party” he throws towards the end of
the film—he inadvertently benefits his fellows. And it’s clear he’s changed by
the end of the film (even though he likely wasn’t trying to), because he makes (perhaps
a hasty) decision not to escape (even though he has an opportunity to), because he’s
worried about Billy.
Cuckoo's Nest is dark and sad. But it’s also oddly
hopefully. And that’s just about my favorite kind of film.
A really interesting pairing. You hit the nail on the head about what's problematic about TKAM in 2016, and my journey with both the book and the film has been similar. But I've also had a similar journey with OFOTCN with regards to gender. I used to teach Kesey's book, and it to this day is still an incredible symbol of the anti-establishment hippie era, but it's really hard to read/watch after developing and honing my feminist viewpoints in my late 20s/early 30s. There's so much goodness in the book (written from the perspective of the Chief Bromden, offering insight not in the film on everything from PTSD to Native American genocide), but like in the film, there's such an aggressive castration fear and submission fetish throughout that I can't in good conscience teach the book to teenagers anymore. That said, I agree that the performances are phenomenal throughout the movie and it still is important in challenging viewers to think about how to treat those afflicted with mental illness.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments, Chris. And I agree. OFOTCN does not have positive representations of women--it seems that essentially all of the female characters are either completely submissive or completely dominant, perpetuating both perceived fantasies and fears of men.
DeleteI'm about a quarter of the way through the year (and this list) now, and a recurring theme seems to be emerging: many of these films haven't aged well (especially in the past decade or so since I last viewed many of them). Most of that is probably due to my own maturing sensibilities. Many of them hold up stylistically, I think--but thematically, not so much. And honestly, Hollywood is STILL way behind the curve when in comes to gender and race politics. Even television is leaps and bounds ahead of (studio) films in that respect.